Loosened from the mud, I find myself floating in a world of possibility.

So can you.



The rivers are rising

A sure sign of spring is the rise of the rivers. Along the border the St. Croix rises over the banks every spring. It's expected, but this year the river may rise higher than usual. In some years the water rises as high as the pavilion.




This last weekend the ice was still floating and there is rain and snow forecasted this entire week, so the water is just going to keep on rising.




Covering the walkways and the river road, and threatening the foundations of the bridge.




This is beautiful for me, but it is because I am a spectator, a visitor on my way over the border. I do not live on the banks of the river, my home and neighborhood is not in danger of being overtaken by the flood waters. Further north and west of me, the Red River is flooding at records levels. Sandbag operations are urgently trying to protect the homes, college and high schools kids are let out of school to help the community, volunteers from all over the state are rushing up to meet the rage of the river.




The river paddle-boats are still locked in the ice, yet nonetheless rising in their slips.




As the ice flowed down the river, it broke up against the cement column. It was an odd noise seeming to come out of nowhere. It took me a while to realize that the sound was created right in front of me. The Big D made some comment about jumping on the ice and floating down the river. This one was way too thin for such an adventure.




It was a beautiful day on the river last Saturday. Today, the news is full of the Red River flooding combined with blizzard like conditions. My prayers go out to those folks. I pray that they efforts are worthwhile and they can avoid the sort of disaster that hit the region over ten years ago.

Comments